Tuesday, August 5, 2008

a little bit of my thoughts

i took a little hiatus from nashville the last couple of weeks. flew out with my little family to utah to visit family, friends, and especially some ill grandparents. i remember why i loved and still love utah so much, with the beautiful mountains, clear cold lakes, sandstone slickrock, and even the rivers. i was able to get together with some friends to play music and even had the opportunity to play a few gigs (even did a late night set for a couple hundred twilight book fans).

i did have the chance to sit in the living room (of which i've done many many times) of a great friend and musician sam payne. i know i've written a few things on my blog about him and his music, but this experience was something new for me. i watched as he and my wife lacey worked on a song together that was submitted to an inspirational youth compilation cd. as i was there i realized very quickly that sam was one of the most prolific song writers i've heard. he told a story of his first dance as a kid (14 years old i think) and then played a song that he had just finished about that experience. i didn't know what else to say but wow!

visiting my grandpa who is sick with cancer, and my grandmother who is very ill also made me realize the significance of enjoying the moments that pass a long the way. as i listened to those songs, and watched the two of them write a new song, i took a moment to enjoy that moment, and am glad i did.

No comments: